Thursday, August 23, 2007

Sweet


Thanks, gals, for reminding me that my pleasure (PLEASURE) in beading is what's most important here. It's easy to let myself lose sight of that.


Like Robin, response to previous post, I totally gave up artwork twice in my life as I was studying for a new career or embarking on it. I was pretty miserable, and know I don't want to do that again.


Besides, I'm older and I know now on a bone deep level that my art time is too precious to put away for later.


And, giggle giggle, yep, having the money to spend on beads is so AWESOME!! I HAVE bought some, but not for any of these projects. I just love being able to give myself little splurges!!

So let's make the most of every precious minute!!

(Photo I lifted from the net of the work of artist Damien Hirst in the UK who embellished a real skull with diamonds)

3 comments:

Mary Timme said...

Sweet may not be quite the word I'd use, Vick, but I'm glad you are mostly enjoying the new job. I'm busy getting teeth done and massages, but don't give up beading or art. You know it makes you cranky. Makes me cranky too! You have such an ethnic feel to your work. I could never do that. I wonder what it will be.

Our design class is proving to be rich grounds for me. Hope to get it incorporated into my being soon. So far it is just surface knowledge and I need to have it be more bone knowledge. I've also gotten an artist's book on anatomy as I've rediscovered being at cell level is very much like home for me, so muscle and bone cells are where I want to be. Weird, but there you are. Bead on Vick!

Robin said...

Fabulous, isn't it, when we get to that point where we understand and support our own need to do art!!!!

This is one of my favorite quotes about art... by Carl Jung:

“The creation of something new is not accomplished by the intellect, but by the play instinct acting from inner necessity. The creative mind plays with the objects it loves”

The obvious part is about the importance of play. But the part that speaks to me most is about how we do our art from inner necessity. We NEED to do it. That's what you and I have finally realized! Yay!!!

Robin

Magpie Sue said...

LOVE the skull! Thanks for sharing it with those of us who wouldn't have found it otherwise!

You are by no means alone in your struggle to make art for your own pleasure and well being on a regular basis. For those of us who are sort of new on the path it's a constant battle. Hopefully it will get easier the more we do it!