Wednesday, June 13, 2007

First Post!

Hello Everyone!
After several revisions in my journal idea, my plan now is to pick one of these fabrics each month and see where it goes. I found a photo of a small journal from an ad in Winter 2006 Quilting Arts, p. 71, for a book by Beryl Taylor, Mixed Media Explorations, and it looks like it would be easy to make and assemble. I will make my pages 3" by 4-1/8" so I have a bit of room to play but don't feel overwhelmed!

When I looked in my fabric stash, the greens just leapt out of the cabinet, so green it is! I'm planning to use from my entire bead stash, especially metal and semiprecious beads, as I most often have embroidered with size 11 and 15 seeds. This will be a challenge, as I have many beads that I love and "save" for something really special. My promise to myself is to go ahead and use them!!

I've also taken the vow to buy nothing new but to enjoy the abundance of what I already have. My husband was thrilled to hear this as well! Thanks to JenniBoBenni for the challenge!

And a big hug to Robin Atkins for creating this community and the Bead Journal Project - I'm looking forward to a great ride!

11 comments:

Timaree said...

Oh, yes, my husband would be happy to hear you aren't buying anything new so he could say I shouldn't either--so he isn't going to hear you said that!! Using those special beads is so hard. I used some seed beads I had picked out for a special project and then I had to rip them out and not use them after all. At least I tried to use them!

Lois2037 said...

I, too, plan to use what I have and not go out and buy anything new. I didn't actually vow, though, you know, just in case... :-D

The bad Liz said...

What a good idea, to use all the items that you already have. I haven't thought about buying anything yet (except for my fabric), but I haven't thought about NOT buying anything.

Good call!

Vicki said...

Freebird,
Oh, definitely, your husband won't hear it from me, or you either. It's our little secret. And Lois, I tend to wildly overstate or understate. Perhaps I'll regret my "vow" but what doesn't kill us makes us stronger, so I'm hoping. In 15 years of unrestrained collecting, Liz, I do have lots of cool stuff if I will let myself use it. I wouldn't recommend a no buying vow to beginners. They'd miss the fun!

Mary Timme said...

All hubby's are happy to hear we aren't buying beads. It is in the gene's somehow. Good start Vicki, I'm proud of you. Now we just need to get together sometime and cheer you up.

Lillian said...

Welcome Vicki,

I too love nature of all kinds and fabric and beads :o) I visited Estes Park many years ago and fell in love with the area, so to find out you are from there brought many happy memories :o) Once I figure out more about blogging, I'll have to start a blog of my own?...

Thanks for sharing, Lillian from WA BJP

Caren said...

I'm going to try to use the fabric and beads I have for the BJP, too. Interesting to know you and others are thinking the same way.

Caren in Snowmass Village, CO

CC said...

Aloha Vicki! I promise I won't tell either, but I'm buying for sure! After 20 years of collecting, I decided I really needed to get organized! So first off I bought see thru' containers for all my beads so I can see them all! Some I forgot I had! So my pretties are all getting nice new homes! Once they're all settled, I'll see if I NEED, just NEED to buy more! Aack! :) CC

Artifax said...

I'm trying to use what I have as well. For me, my creativity gets challenged a bit more and the outcome is more satisfying when I work with the treasures I have on hand. And then I gain more room in the bead box to justify going shopping later :D

GraceBeading said...

Hi Vicki,
Green is my favorite color, I'm looking forward to seeing the progress of your June page.

The Lone Beader® said...

Isn't it exciting to start a new project?? I love green. And, I usually try to use beads that I alrady have, but the vehicles I create usually require something special that I don't have... Anyways, I can't wait to see your work.

Also, thanks for stoppin by. Cheers from Boston=:)