Sunday, July 8, 2007

July inspiration pic

Well, it's the last day before I start work. I know that I won't have energy for awhile to do all the blogger thing, because I really want to make art, so here's perhaps a final post till I start and finish July.


I'm so nervous about going back to work. I think my June piece shows that I'm all over the place. Yesterday in my studio I pulled out about three necklace projects and started a new embroidery on leather. I so want to hold on to making art, and not give that up while I'm working, that I'm getting a little cuckoo and really losing focus!!


Anyway, here's a photo of the African beads that I think will inspire my July journal. I realized I still want to make a necklace with them, so I don't want to use these actual beads on my piece, which is what I had first envisioned. I love the contrast between larger textured black and white discs and the small black/white and green/yellow discs. And some of the blue beads have vertical stripes so it's very pleasing.




Yesterday I also started beading a goddess shape on leather. I used a drawing from Marija Gimbutas' book, The Language of the Goddess. I'm not happy with the beads I've used but I'm looking at this first piece as a sketch, so they''ll do fine.




If anyone has any suggestions about how to keep doing your art when you're working at a professional level job, please share. I imagine it has to do with priorities and scheduling...

6 comments:

The Lone Beader® said...

All I know is you have to make a little time for yourself everyday... :)

s said...

I agree with LB, and I also want to say that we will miss you. So don't stay away to long. Enjoy your new job.
Sunni

s said...

Missing seeing your post. Hope all is well. I wanted to let you know I posted some more pics of the baby birds.
Sunni

Padparadscha said...

Love your African beads, and I think it's great to inspire yourself from Marija Gimbutas, I love that book.

Concerning beading time, I think the BJP will help you force yourself to take time for your beading, this is one of the beauties of this project, isn't it ?

Take care,

Hélène

Quilt Architect said...

Approach your beading as a time for meditation. Make space in your day.
It might help to create a ritual around it, such as fixing a cup of tea and bead for 15 minutes. If you can do a little bit and it is relaxing and rejuvenating it will make you addicted to the process and you will find yourself making more time for it. If you are stuck on a project, write down a list of things that make you feel stuck. Realize what the next action is and work on that. Give you project air...if it has been in a drawer or just sitting out but you have not done anything with it, rearrange it, clean it up, move it....kinda like fluffing a pillow. Sometime all we can do are micro movements to getting back into a project. Tease yourself with all your creative power, you are worth it.

Padparadscha said...

Hello Vicki,

How are you doing ?

I'm curious to know how your goddess is turning out ? You inspired me to take a theme related to M Gimbutas for my September BJP page...

Take care :o)